Listen. Think. Speak. Write.







Sunday, September 30, 2012

More in the Middle


Yesterday, the new semester started.  Wait.  Actually, tomorrow marks the start of the fifth week of the semester.  What the heck?  How did that happen?  I'm assuming I must have missed a time warp in September because there is no way October begins tomorrow.  Excuse me while I stomp my feet and shake my fists at the universe for allowing time to pass so dang quickly.
I guess I should have known we'd breezed out of the beginning and into the middle based on how swamped and frazzled I am.  Forget about writing or editing or anything other than just getting through the day right now. 

Perhaps, the universe is doing that thing its known to do—teaching me a lesson, reminding me of a couple of things I really should remember by now. As usual, they apply to both my life and my writing.  I've said it before.  I love beginnings.  Middles, not so much. It feels like they drag on, and they're either so boring, I just want to move on to the next thing or they're filled with over the top drama, and again, I get antsy for something new.

And then I remember that I have some control over the middle, too.  If it's boring, I don't have to wait for change.  I can make it happen. If it's too dramatic, I can remove obstacles and even characters (people) who just aren't working.  Of course, there's plenty I can't control (not that I've learned that lesson yet), but that's a given.  Still, since the middle is the longest part of the semester, a novel I'm writing, and even the story of my life, I might as well settle in and enjoy the conflict.  After all, that's what makes a good middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment