Listen. Think. Speak. Write.







Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Un-Slumping







“And when you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun.Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.”


Fine, I’ll admit it. I’m in a writing slump. Maybe it’s more of a writing motivation slump. In other words, I have none. For a long time, I’ve claimed it’s just physics—loss of inertia. But the reality is, there is something deeper here. Have I mentioned that I might be a bit competitive?

Remember all those lists and goals?

The querying process of my first novel was rough. Lots of positive buzz. Lots of interest. No agent. I didn’t get as deeply into querying my second novel, but I think the combined general rejection has definitely impact my focus regarding my writing. I know that it shouldn’t because I did get enough feedback to tell me that there’s definitely potential. I should be raring to go with editing my third novel. 
 “You’ll play games you can’t win because you play against you.”
The problem is I’ve never enjoyed playing games when I’m not winning. I was talking with a friend of mine who is a runner recently and I told her I struggle with races because I’m not good enough to win, and I’m too competitive to race for fun.

She said, “You’ll never win. Someone will always be faster. You can only race against yourself.”

Important words. Maybe I just need to be a better opponent to myself. So, it’s time to get back in the game. Perhaps, if I can find that balance, even if I play against me, the game doesn’t have to be unwinnable. 


“Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act.”


My mountain is waiting.  I refuse to let myself be the only thing in my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment