Listen. Think. Speak. Write.







Friday, July 13, 2012

Making Progress

I know it's a shock, but I'm still here.

It's been forever and a day since I last blogged. I spent June immersed in teaching summer school, carting kids to swim lessons and dance, and of course, participating in Camp NaNoWriMo.  I'm happy to report that I survived and managed to complete the first draft of my third novel.  I'm just now settling into summer though we've already reached the halfway point.


Today, I'm resisting the urge to delete all my writing in frustration.  I have a pretty thick skin overall, but sometimes, rejection just sucks.  Thankfully, the pitter patter of much needed, life-giving rain helps drown out the sounds of my self-pity.  I can't decide what's worse—the form rejection which indicates you never had a chance or those that tell me I'm *thisclose*.  Close is not my goal.
But close is better than far.

I keep coming back to that same lesson I try to teach my kids.  Winning isn't everything.  Plus, sometimes, it's difficult to define a win.  Certainly, getting published. But rejection is not always a clear loss. After all, I tell my kids that putting yourself out there, trying, and doing your best is part of life's journey, part of winning. Additionally, recent rejection comments clearly indicate that I have improved as a writer, and I'm proud of that.  I just have to remind myself to put progress in the win column, too.
I'm going to be more conscious about breaking down my goals so that progress can be assessed on its own merit. 
Are your goals absolutes?  Have you figured out how to acknowledge your smaller wins? 


1 comment: